Institutional Research Associate Program
Imperial Capital's Institutional Research Group recruits year round for Associate candidates to join our program. Positions are often available in Los Angeles and New York. Our program recruits lateral and entry level candidates depending on the hiring season and our current needs. The Research Associate's primary responsibility is to assist Senior Analysts in providing research coverage on the entire capital structure.
- Provide support to Senior Analysts through fundamental analysis and investment recommendations on high yield, distressed debt and special situation securities with an emphasis on original, bottom-up research.
- Lead all aspects of the building financial and valuation models, including but not limited to: researching efficacy of quantitative factors; investigating and correcting issues related to data integrity; assisting on data integration projects; investigating different factor weighting schemes; developing multivariate factor models; and writing research reports.
- Conduct primary research through industry sources including, but not limited to, financial analysis, due diligence on industry trends, company managements and strategies.
- Build and update financial and valuation models that synthesize and assess financial, industry data.
- Write comprehensive research reports and present findings; draft reports/notes on relevant investment themes, events, and breaking news.
- Respond to client and internal inquiries regarding research findings and directives.
- Manage ad-hoc projects as assigned.
Skills & Qualifications
- Ability to effectively communicate with outside clients as well as with the organization's sales force to both understand the requests coming in to the group as well as to be able to cogently explain the research that the group conducted.
- Possess demonstrated industry specialized securities analysis experience and a network of related industry contacts.
- Ability to conduct analysis of financial projections and impact of financing, transaction and operational variables through preparation of valuation models; solid financial modeling skills.
- Superior writing skills.
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced, deadline driven environment with a proven commitment to turning in consistently high quality work as a self starter.
- High level of integrity, energy and flexibility with a positive team oriented "can-do" attitude.
- Experience with fixed income and with issues that often arise in high yield and distressed debt.
- Strong interpersonal relationships skills are critical. Must have solid communication skills and a personal style conducive to building relationships.
- Strong teamwork orientation, unquestionable honesty and integrity, intellectual curiosity and dedication to providing the best products to clients.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's Degree is required.
- MBA or Masters Degree in accounting, finance or economics degree preferred
- Background in accounting or legal is a plus.
- CFA and/or CPA designation is a plus.
- 1-2 years of experience working directly on conducting research covering multiple industries on the sell side or as a buy side generalist.
If you feel you have the qualifications and experience to fill either the Institutional Research Associate position, please submit your resume and cover letter through Imperial Capital's Job Application. Principals only. Please, no phone calls. We regret we will not be able to respond to inquiries regarding your submission. The job description for this employment opportunity is not all inclusive. Imperial Capital reserves the right to change or modify job duties at anytime.